Friday, June 4, 2010

40. Dreaming Creation

Cool Surprise

My husband brought me a new wood to work. Oh, how cool is he? The man is just inspired by what I do,and  he wants to help. He came up with a wood I've never worked with. Very easy to mess up. It burns so fast you must be paying attention.

Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata) is a species of Thuja, an evergreen  coniferous  tree in the cypress family Cupressaceae.

The soft red-brown timber is valued for its distinct appearance, aroma, and its high natural resistance to decay, being extensively used for outdoor construction in the form of posts, decking, shingles, fencing and siding. It is also used to line closets and chests, for its pungent aromatic oils are believed to discourage moth and carpet beetle larvae. This is more effective in a properly constructed red cedar chest, since the oils are confined by shellac and leather seals. A well-sealed red cedar chest will retain its pungent odor for many decades. Its light weight, strength and dark warm sound make it a popular choice for guitar soundboards.

So I thought I would be finished by this evening. NOT. Those of you that know me. I was dreaming again. So I thought I would give you a preview of tomorrows finale.

I've been burning this all day. I thought I would be finished by now. NO. I'm not even close. But I know it will be complete in the morning.

Here's a preview. Keep in mind i'm not even close to finished.


Much more tomorrow. This is not finished. Only an update to what I'm working on. I can't wait to see it myself.

If you're interested in general lathes you might find this page interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment